When in doubt, quote Anne

"I'd like to add some beauty to life," said Anne dreamily. "I don't exactly want to make people know more...though I know that is the noblest ambition...but I'd love to make them have a pleasanter time because of me...to have some little joy or happy thought that would never have existed if I hadn't been born." 
"I think you're fulfilling that ambition every day," said Gilbert admiringly. 
And he was right. Anne was one of those children of light by birthright. After she passed through a life with a smile or a word thrown across it like a gleam of sunshine the owner of that life saw it, for the time being at least, as hopeful and lovely and of good report. 
-L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

There are times when a soul feels small. It took three days to clean the playroom and, in the meantime, the laundry suffered greatly. Who am I to change the world? But Anne reminds me that I can - a smile, a kind word, a held door, a side-walk chalk rainbow. All fleeting perhaps, but different than if I hadn't acted at all.

A small change, but a better world all the same.

Comments

Popular Posts