Friday, 5 September 2014

"Whisper not"

It's been a while since I last wrote for Five Minute Fridays. Things have changed - the unedited word warrior link-up has moved to a new home, hosted by Kate Motaung, and it's still brave and lovely. This week link-up starts here, and this week's word is just delicious: "whisper".

Here's what five minutes wrought me this week:


There's snow in the forecast for Tuesday. A whisper of winter.

I believed it this morning, with a chill in the air permeating the house. I reached up past the usual school morning tea selection to a small brown bag marked "Czar Nicholas" - Russian Caravan Tea. I shuffled about in last Christmas's moccassins, lately repaired but long since worn. Spread last autumn's jewel-toned crabapple butter on my toast, rich with autumn spices.

This afternoon, it's not whisper, but a rumour, as Ella sang. The sun's burnt off my wintry nostalgia, cast off my slippers. I've thrown a sundress over leggings, hot from the walk to the school bus. The breeze blows off this year's crop of soon-to-be-buttered apples; the cycle's about to begin again, but not yet.

Not quite yet. Whisper not.


NB: It appears I misheard the lyric that inspired this little piece. Oh well. Ella still sounds gorgeous singing here.

4 comments:

  1. Visiting from FMF as your neighbor. Welcome back. Things change ... things stay the same. Hope you come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's good to be back :)

      Delete
  2. Delightful post. Made me smile and chuckle. Thanks for your words and the taste of Ella. :-) Visiting from Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Those little notifications make my day :)