"Whisper not"

It's been a while since I last wrote for Five Minute Fridays. Things have changed - the unedited word warrior link-up has moved to a new home, hosted by Kate Motaung, and it's still brave and lovely. This week link-up starts here, and this week's word is just delicious: "whisper".

Here's what five minutes wrought me this week:


There's snow in the forecast for Tuesday. A whisper of winter.

I believed it this morning, with a chill in the air permeating the house. I reached up past the usual school morning tea selection to a small brown bag marked "Czar Nicholas" - Russian Caravan Tea. I shuffled about in last Christmas's moccassins, lately repaired but long since worn. Spread last autumn's jewel-toned crabapple butter on my toast, rich with autumn spices.

This afternoon, it's not whisper, but a rumour, as Ella sang. The sun's burnt off my wintry nostalgia, cast off my slippers. I've thrown a sundress over leggings, hot from the walk to the school bus. The breeze blows off this year's crop of soon-to-be-buttered apples; the cycle's about to begin again, but not yet.

Not quite yet. Whisper not.


NB: It appears I misheard the lyric that inspired this little piece. Oh well. Ella still sounds gorgeous singing here.

Comments

  1. Visiting from FMF as your neighbor. Welcome back. Things change ... things stay the same. Hope you come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful post. Made me smile and chuckle. Thanks for your words and the taste of Ella. :-) Visiting from Five Minute Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Those little notifications make my day :)

Popular Posts