Practical Beauty

I live in a city at the mercy of a river. Water, cutting deep, jagged banks, ravines, cliffs left wild due to the impracticality of building bridges over them. Because of the winding river and steep, steep banks, roads curve, give way to nature, and detour through parkways to accommodate the rugged landscape rather than catering to human whim that likes to get straight from point A to B.

It's taken some getting used to.

I was raised along the same river, but a wider, gentler stretch where beach and bank slope smoothly up. Manicured parks and bridges abound. We have three bridges, a mere five blocks apart. The idea of going twenty blocks out of my way just to get across the water seems so primitive. Where are the thoroughfares? The freeway bridges? Oh, they're there, just past that next cliff. The next bend in the river. Watch out for the gulley.

Most of the year, I fume at the wasted time, the extra mile back-tracked to get to the doctors, the idea of crossing the river twice to get to the conservatory. But when autumn comes, those detours are a treat. Hairpin curves walled with almost vertical bush take me down through ravine to a tree-lined road along the river. Over the freeway to avoid the tracks and the traffic bending through more trees, more brush. Colour spectrum from emerald through jade, gold, amber, topaz, a speckling of garnet. It's worth the extra fifteen minutes in September.

Joining up with Kate for another Five(ish) Minute Friday. Today's word was "because". Do wander over to Heading Home to see what other writers have done with their five minutes.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing! It is spring in South Africa and autumn is but a memory!
    livinginafrica.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about the blogger I follow from Australia - I get all nostalgic about the season she's anticipating and I'm long past :) Enjoy your spring!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great that sometimes the Journey makes us stop and appreciate the here-and-now? After all, the destination is not the only point of our Journey - it's the trip along the way.

    Wishing you beautiful vistas as you travel the path God has set out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Many blessings to you as well :)

      Delete
  3. I love this, seeing more of your world through your eyes. :-) What a gorgeous sight it must be at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess, the only time I'm tempted by Google Glass is while I'm driving. There's many a scene before my eyes I'd love to capture just by saying "click!". Most of those scenes are from autumn - it IS a gorgeous sight. Glad you liked the post :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Those little notifications make my day :)

Popular Posts