Everywhere still

It's Friday again, and I'm joining with Kate and her band of brave writers for another five minutes of unedited words on a single prompt. This week's word is "still".


"I'm going to go for a walk in the woods," I told my husband on the first retreat where we brought a wee baby. "I'm going to go by myself, and it's going to be AWESOME."

It was. The paths by the lake were silent with deep November snow, the water's edge frozen, the tree bows heavy and muffled fir. It was easy to be still.

Taking that stillness home, however, can be tricky. To remember that the Spirit felt so clearly in woods in the Northern Saskatchewan wilderness is everywhere present, and filling all things. Even my suburban sidewalk. Even my cluttered living room, my even more cluttered playroom, my head full of children's noise and posts worried over and opinions half-formed with a false urgency of needing to finish them lest anyone ask - there's room for stillness here too. Ready to fall over it all like snow, and bring that hush. Everywhere still.

Comments

  1. Totally understand your sentiment. [Wish I could go for a long walk in some snowy woods!]....am leaving your blog open in its own shiny tab to explore more tonight (am in a rush now).....*love* your description of your blog in your sidebar!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know what you mean here. I live out in the country and feeling that stillness can be difficult even out here! I'm glad I stopped by.

    http://5heartsonefamily.blogspot.com/2014/11/co-parenting.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one struggling to keep still. I'm glad you stopped by as well.

      Delete
  3. oh... to take that stillness home with us. :-) it is tricky. when i was still in those crazy days with lots of young'uns, i made the shower my still place - because the water drowned out all the other noises. :-)

    these days, i like to take long walks, especially when it is snowy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short walks still happen for me, though they tend to come with young accompaniments these days. I'll have to try your shower trick ;)

      Delete
  4. Such a calm peacefulness in your post. I loved the line "there's room for stillness here too. Ready to fall over it all like snow, and bring that hush. Everywhere still." Just serene.
    Blessings,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I walked through a wonderful hoarfrost on the way to preschool this morning - it helped with the calm. Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Those little notifications make my day :)

Popular Posts